Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday Morning Nuggets: Urges and the Decline of Poker Writing, Weeds and Poker, and On the Road Embedded with Hippies

By Pauly
New York City

If you haven't figured it out by now...I took off the month of October to visit friends and family, follow my favorite band across America, and work/research my next non-fiction book. I get back int he swing of all things poker in November when I return to Las Vegas to cover the November Nine. In the meantime, expect a few more installments of Rounders Reprise with Change100 and maybe even a guest post or two along the way.

For now, sit back and take a gander at these heady links to help brighten up your Monday...
F-Train lays out the straight dope about The Decline of Poker Writing. (Riding the F-Train)

The creator of Weeds is a huge poker fan and the show has been peppered with poker references over the last four seasons. And now, a new poker-themed show is in the development stages. Who knows if it will get green lit or if it will remain in limbo? (Wicked Chops Poker)

Stu Hoegner recently joined the Pokerati team as a political correspondent. Take a peek at GamingCounsel's Weekly Briefs. (Pokerati)

Has Shamus hit the wall? Or has he exhausted every possible topic in poker? I feel his pain because I've been struggling with similar issues since 2007. It's not easy creating original content (for multiple outlets) on a daily basis without repeating yourself and burning out. Obviously, you've seen the direction that I've gone in -- taking extended breaks from poker (to write Lost Vegas, delving into fiction or music writing, and occasionally opting to say nothing rather than beat a dead friggin' horse). Those breaks allow me to re-emerge into poker with a fresh perspective. Check out Shamus' two-part piece titled... The Urge to Keep Writing and The Urge to Keep Writing, Continued. (Hard-Boiled Poker)
* * *


Saturday night rager in Charleston

If you dig music or you're interested in reading music-related scribblings, then you should read five different pieces I wrote in the last week while covering five Phish concerts in Colorado and Charleston, SC.
Ten Ten Ten (Broomfield, CO)
Eurotrash Night (Broomfield, CO)
Off Kilter in Colorado (Broomfield, CO)
Barely Legal (Charleston, SC)
Double Fisting (Charleston, SC)
You can always follow @CoventryMusic on Twitter.

By the way, if you though 2+2 was harsh, man oh man, the Phish forum equivalent of Phantasy Tour is friggin' brutal and makes 2+2 act like a bunch of altar boys. I got totally reemed for my honest and merciless review of the last night in Colorado titled Off Kilter in Colorado. Just like poker, I call it like I see it.

OK, that's it. Have an awesome week. I know I will. NGTFOOMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment